feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

Interview with TONY SLY & JOEY CAPE

Tags:

Tony Sly and Joey Cape two of the most influential song writers in the punk scene since the early 90´s, Are joining their talents to bring us one of the coolest shows you can ever experience, they are not just playing No use for a name and Lagwagon hits with acoustic guitars, they are actually performing their new solo project songs. The interview was really funny with a hyper active Joey Cape and a Serious Tony Sly, so it was an interview that happens just once in a lifetime. They let us know that they hate abbreviations like: LOL. LMAO, OMG, FYI, etc…. so enjoy.


By: Miguel Guinness
Is it more comfortable to travel without your bands?
Tony: In a way yes and in the other way no, you don’t have a lot of time to do another things when you travel with the whole band, because you need to sleep as much as possible, because the shows are ended like at 2 and then to drive again 5 hours to get to the next venue and as soon as you arrive is sound check, dinner, interviews, show and when you are without band you can sleep even 10 hours and you don’t have so much pressure and you have a whole day to know another city and for me now is pretty easy because I´m travelling with people that I really like and they are all in this room right now so it´s better to say good things about them haha.
Joey: I totally agree, I really like what you said Tony hahaha, I think what is similar is similar you know? What I mean when you travel with your band is a band tour and now is like touring with family and what is great and better is that this experience is new and the musical thing, we are experimenting we are doing new things, although the bus is really, really comfortable you can sleep all night and I said to myself I really like this!! Haha we are just talking about the vehicle and not the musical facts!!
Tony: Miguel did you ask about the vehicle? Hahaha
Joey: I think he did!!
No I didn’t, but if you feel happy about your vehicle keep talking about it.
Tony: I really like this new musical thing.
Joey: I mean we never played together like this so we are really happy with it besides the bus! Hahaha.
Tony: I tour with other bands the whole time but I never had the chance to be on stage with another singer/song writer in a tour by ourselves and appreciating the creativity of other performer and I think that’s more challenging than just watching another band on stage.
When did you notice that you don’t play well with others?
Joey: Well that’s kind of ironic a bit like a joke because I was gonna have something like other 30 or 40 guest musicians, but I thought that it would be a good title for a record so that’s why I kept it, but at the end is kind of a joke, mmmhhhh but it might be true hahaha.
What your solo projects have in common with your Band releases?
Tony: I don’t think they have anything in common only that the same singer and the song writer that is really a lot, but I´m trying really hard to make them sound different than anything I wrote for NUFAN because if it sounded like NUFAN it would be in the next NUFAN record.
How has been the FAT WRECK support for this new acoustic CD of yours?
Tony: It is awesome!! (Joey Cape making a lot of noise, so Tony stopped and said Joey to be quiet) So you know Fat Mike was totally supportive with the record and he loved the new songs so much, he loves my music and that’s really important for me, Mike is not just putting out any band or musician to make money he doesn’t need any more money (laughs).
So you are not in your 20´s anymore, how hard is it getting for you to be on tour for such long time having a family?
Tony: Is pretty difficult to have a family and being on tour especially not for me missing the kids as much because I can kind of absorb the selfishness, but is like different because they(kids) don’t understand when I will be back or they don’t understand what I´m doing, my daughter doesn’t have a concept of the time yet, so I say to her honey I will be back in 3 weeks she doesn’t understand that, for me is just that I feel bad for them that’s all, I feel bad for my wife my kids not for myself.
Joey: I used to think the same as tony but now I´m starting to feel bad for myself(laughs) because is a miserable life.
Tony: well yeah but what I meant is that I can´t explain my daughter how I feel about it, she doesn’t know what that means, I go on tour for example 6 weeks then I come back and we have to re acquaint again and that is so sad.
Joey: We had daughters almost at the same time in our lives and that´s why our lives are so parallel Tony and me, it´s really cool to be on tour with him because we live almost the same and we talk about this.
Joey, how the people have responded to your offer of downloading a song for free each month?
Joey: Is doing pretty good, I´ve been really surprised actually it has being great, I had no expectations because why would you do it and then get disappointed id you do and I was pleasantly surprised, very happy about it.
Tony you have shown through the years that you love acoustic numbers, how do you feel now that finally you released something 100% yours and 100% acoustic?
Tony: It feels really good actually, and the fact that I could write and control the whole record how I wanted to do it and that I was full in charge and not to hear anybody else´s ideas, is not that I wanted to act like that but I did it as I wanted to sound.
You had tour around the world which differences have you noticed between people from all around the world, the ones that attracted more your attention?
Tony: European crowds are better (laughs)
Joey: Depends on where you are.
Tony: I take this city Vienna like my favorite to play.
Joey: I think you can never say which is better, I´m thinking why? What I really like of playing in Europe is that people is not so pretencious they let go a little more about the music , here people is more musical.
Tony: In the US we have a lot of bands and they are just living up for image and not the music you don’t see that so often in Europe.
Joey: Maybe in England the UK they tend to follow this trends is like after 6 months they are doing what in the US are doing, but I think the UK is not Europe so it doesn’t matter(laughs). But mostly this part of Europe Germany, Austria and the surroundings we have really good shows.
Did u ever imagine making an interview with a Mexican in Austria? 
Joey & Tony: Laughs
Joey: Are you really Mexican?? (laughs)
Any shout outs?
Tony: You know what? I´m stoked with this interview thanks for not asking about NO USE FOR A NAME.
Joey: Yeah thanks!! Seriously thanks for not asking about NO USE FOR A NAME thank you (laughs)
Tony: And even more thanks for not asking about LAGWAGON (laughs) because then you could need another 30 minutes to finish this interview (laughs)
Joey: You would need another Iphone to record it bro!
Tony: And 1 anti-depressant (laughs)
Joey: Well now seriously I´m really glad that you know what I´m doing you asked me about, Joey Cape doesn’t play well with others that is what I´m doing now and touring a lot.
Tony: We are going to Australia, Canada, maybe Japan with this acoustic project so we are really busy at the moment.
  




0 comentarios:

Post a Comment