feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

Interview w/THE SWELLERS

Tags:

The swellers were part of the Give it a name festival in its stop in Vienna, for this band from Michigan this time was their first time in Vienna and in Europe, They play in a very controversial day the 4/20. The Swellers headlined the second stage at GIAN festival. So here we go.
By: Miguel Guinness.
What a funny thing that you are playing the 4/20 in Vienna?
Nick: (laughs) Hitler´s birthday today and we are playing in his country, that´s fucked up, today the hippies celebrate their green day as well, that is something like a marihuana day or something.
Ryan: It´s my dad´s birthday so I have to call him. And also the columbine´s shootings happened on this date but in 1999.
Nick: So there are a lot of celebrations (laughs)
You grew up with the 90´s punk rock, Have you noticed a lot of differences between the early punk-o-rama releases with the newest punk-o-ramas?
Nick: It seems like the first punk-o-ramas were a collection of all the best songs, the classics and all that and then it seems that epitaph started to make the later ones just as a compilation of all the bands on their label, so they stopped to add classics and stuff , when I got to punk rock I bought me all the punk-o-ramas because you picked a cd and there were so many good bands for only 5 dollars, it was amazing.
Many kids now start bands thinking that is an easy and fast way to succeed and being cool, but they never think in all the sacrifices that you have to make to be for example where you are now, what o you think about it?
Nick: Most of all is like if you have to tour full time, because as a small band you have to tour the whole time and that’s the only way to make more money and survive and make people to know who you are without radio, without mtv, you have to basically not going to school, school is a big sacrifice, having a good job which is very steady, you have to sacrifice that and friends, family, girlfriends, so basically you have to prepare to go to work(concerts) and being away for a long time not coming home but when you come back home you appreciate everything way more really! I´m sure that a lot of people hate where they live, they hate teir hometown, but we really got to appreciate our house, our home and our friends and our family way more because we are always gone. But if your band is good you have fun, you know what you are doing you get to see the world, you have a blast out of it and is also cool to meet really cool people for example the “Friday night boys”.
Are the four of you vegans? And what an you say about veganism?
Nick: I´m vegan and my brother is almost vegan, he is a lazy vegan well mostly his only problem is chocolate that’s the only reason he is not a vegan but personally I´ve been doing it for 8 years, I don’t even think about it anymore it´s just the way I live, one day I decided that is useless someone to die for me to get some food and I just being doing that ever since, I thought it could be hard on tour but all of the venues we played they offered vegan food.
What do you prefer to play, warped tour or European festivals?
Nick: Well this give it a name festival used to be just a 1 stage festival now they have 2 which is kind of cool and warped tour in the U.S. can be 8 stages and they are all in semi trucks and the semi-trucks are like transformers, each semi-truck is a stage and everyday there are hundreds f people who work in the tour the whole summer when weather is so, so hot and all day long with tons of buses, I ink is one of the biggest production in the world as with the music goes, so it´s a lot more intense but this GIAN festival is better for me because it´s late in the afternoon and it´s great.
Anto: Well there are just 2 or 3 big festivals in the U.S., I feel like in Europe is a summer full of festivals everywhere like the bands from the U.S. don’t come in summer to Europe to make their own shows they just come to play in festivals.
Nick: And in the states we just have warped tour which is not even a festival anymore to me and there is this festival called Coachella, lollapalooza but well warped tour is crazy, I prefer this festival 100%.
Through all these years how you managed to still be together and rocking?
Ryan: That everybody gets along with each other, that you know there´s a line and when you cross it and there has to be communication, that’s like the main thing, there´s no egos in our band, for example in my case I´d been in other bands where the singer thinks that he is a god´s gift to everybody in this planet, so as long there´s communication and we are friends anwe always have to put the band first and seems to be working.
Nick: We were lucky when my brother and I started the band in 2002 we´ve been working hard since day1 all the way doing our own thing and when Ryan joined the band 2 years ago and you know sometimes people don’t want to play anymore they quit and we have to find a new member right away and keep going non stop, and then we made a summer tour, fall tour, winter tour and we noticed that we got all along pretty well and our crew is really good too, you have to be sure to have the right tour manager, merch guy you know? And we know bands that they don’t get along with each other they just walk around and each do their own thing, it seems like is just a job but for us is really cool that we play our music and we hang out at the same time, It´s awesome.
Will you have new releases for this or next year?
Nick: Well we will put out a new record in the summer time, you know? During the warped tour or something, so we will have something new, fresh ready to go because we don’t want to slow down ever, we just want to keep going, at the moment we have a bunch of new ideas and we are talking about which kind of record we want to make next and it will be great I just can´t wait to go to the studio with these guys, e don’t have so much time to jam and make new songs because we are always on tour but I´m really looking forward to lay down expose our ideas and well let´s see how it comes, I don’t want to make a record which is not better than the last one, I mean there are a lot of bands who do that and they don’t care about it even some of my favourite bands did that, I rather break up the band than put out something that sucks.
Shout outs??
Ryan: I want to say that whole Europe is beautiful I´d never seen so many gorgeous places in my life, the crowd participation at our shows is unbelievable and that I love every single person in this Give it a name festival
Nick: Yeah it has been amazing we never expect something like this in this tour and Austria is just incredible, we were in Salzburg and now we are in Vienna so I´m excited to meet everybody and see how it goes.




0 comentarios:

Post a Comment