feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

Interview w/LESS THAN JAKE

Tags:

Less Than Jake had survive through the years despite all the 10000 of ska bands around now a days and with their latest release they showed us that they still keep their power and good quality music. This time we talked to Chris and this is what he thinks about the actual music business.
By: Miguel Guinness.  

Can you explain us a bit about SLEEP IT OFF RECORDS!!???
Okay, Sleep it off records is a record label that we put out for Less Than Jake music. We are not planning to put some other bands on it, this is exclusively for LTJ.
Haha, okay, so I must erase the second question which was, Do you have already a bands roster in sleep it off??
(laughs) Okay, the well that option can remain opened for future years but as I said before, at this moment it´s going to be just a LTJ project.
How does Less Than Jake feel now as an independent band, with this I mean that you feel free in your music, lyrics. etc…
Well is kind of a though question, because we never really depended on a label, now we couldn’t go and make a record for 100,000 dollars without Warner brothers or something, Like our last record wasn’t so expensive because we did it by ourselves. So that’s why we never depended on somebody so when you are in a big label you just get more money for videos and shit like that. But really doesn’t feel any kind of difference, the label never took any of our concert money, t-shirt sales, so nothing is changed really. The label just want you to take pictures for magazines, interviews in TV and all that kind of shit. So for us that was kind of silly. We are who we are and you can never be something that you are not.
Why do you think that Ska, Punk, Hardcore and all this kind of bands never last so long in major labels??
Why do I think they quit these labels?? So easy as they were not selling records, cd’s!! Listen that Fall Out Boy stop selling records they are gone, any artist any name even Lenny Kravitz (laughs) whoever yeah!! So it doesn’t matter how good the bands are, the minute they stop selling records, there are gone. At some points these labels are just business. These days business is not good enough, so these bands disappear immediately. So the label won´t give them 400.000 dollars again for a record, is like our last CD we just sold around 20,000 copies.
So do you think that bands get affected by the internet, I mean download music, Youtube etc…?
It’s not just about the downloading, is like you and me would have a new band in 5 minutes and put it on myspace, anybody can have at home a studio. There are ten times more bands that when I started my band 15 years ago, is because is so easy now, you don’t spend fucking 3000 dollars per hour like we used to do it back in the day, now you just need to spend a few thousand dollars and a computer and record at home and when do you record the song you just upload it to myspace or purevolume or anything shit like this. You know there are so much out here that you buy for attention, you try to get a piece of that pie, is a lot of competition out there is not just the download issue is the internet in general, you know?
Alles klar!! Like Austrians say!! I saw that you played in Brazil, how did you find the Latin American crowd??
Amazing, some of the best, we were in Argentina, Colombia, Chile and Brazil it was amazing.
Any plans to go to Mexico??
We were supposed to play in Mexico city the 29th of April, but then the fucking swine flu, the promoter was acting weird and we heard stories of friends (bands) which play there who mention that a few things were pretty messed up, we got a lot of mails of kids from Mexico who were really pissed off because we didn’t play there, sorry kids we will go to Mexico soon.
And in a personal way which music do you enjoy to listen, which bands etc…??
Well that is a really hard question it depends but personally I don’t hear punk rock, I like more music from the 60´s, 70`s, so I don’t have any favourite band, I like so many bands but hard to choose one as favourite. I enjoy good music I don’t like for example really classical music, I don’t like R&B, I don’t really like country music or shit like that.
So, Chris tell me and you will have to tell me (laughs). Which song of Less Than Jake you don’t like to play, but you must play it because the kids want to hear it??
(more laughs) I don´t really have one just because, when you play when the people goes crazy that makes the song come alive, I don’t really have one, what sometimes gets me tired is like to say oh my god I still have to play 9 shows my neck already hurts.
This ship is sinking, so this is the last question. What do you think about Christian Metalcore??
mmmhhh?? Christian Metalcore?? I love it!! I listen to it at church every Sunday (laughs loudly). No I never heard Christian Metalcore to be honest, I couldn’t even tell you one band, I don’t know any single band but I´m sure they are great tough.
Mr. Chris, it was a pleasure that you concede this interview to me, I wish you a lot of luck for your show today which you don’t need it. And I have to tell you that you made the biggest circle pit in Austria ever, that 2 years ago in the 2 days at week festival.
(Laughs) really so we will try to do it again just for you. Thanks Hearing The Voice, the pleasure was mine.




0 comentarios:

Post a Comment