feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

Interview with THE CASUALTIES

Tags:

After a long Emails session with the band´s manager, record label, booking agency, etc… We got an interview with this legend of streetpunk called THE CASUALTIES, this guys are famous for their hard sound, combative lyrics and their distinctive punk look, I had the pleasure to interview Jake the guitar player who was really happy to be back in Vienna and this is what he said to us. Enjoy.  


By: Miguel Guinness. 



Why do you think that a lot of bands start as street punk band, hardcore band, but within the years they change their style to melodic punk rock?
Jake: I think it depends on mmm…, because there are some bands who had been around for a long time and they got bored playing the same thing and well they mellow out and other reasons is like they want to jump in a level like lagwagon, you know to change their sound to please the people maybe?, and we never tried something like that we stay hardcore, we got a little better arrangements in our sound but I don’t believe in change the style just to get more popular.
For some people anarchy is destruction, for others an utopian idea, how would the casualties define anarchy??
Jake: Well for us is like self anarchy you know we don’t preach politics to anyone, we say how we feel on our songs, the way we see the life, how we live our lives, is not our style to tell people how to live, we just offer opinions, I wouldn’t like anyone to tell me how to live and I wouldn’t consider us an anarchy band, we just live by our own rules.
You influence a lot of kids around the world, so what influences the casualties?
Jake: well everybody is different in the band, but personally I like G.B.H., the exploited and that style of punk, that was my main influence but now I have other influences too but mainly I´m influenced by fast punk.
Punk music is a genre which separates more people than unite them due to the different kind of sub-genres like ska-punk, hardcore-punk, oi punk, melodic punk, etc… What do you think about it?
Jake: Yeah that’s right, punk has been divided is so many sub-genres that’s right, and honestly I don’t know there are some punk styles I like and others which I don’t really dig, I just can say that you play or listen what makes you happy so what´s right for me, is right for anybody else. I mean I can´t dictate what people should listen, I just mean that I don’t like any styles you know?
Discrimination is a problem so have you ever suffered it because of your actions, ideals and looks?
Jake: Yeah absolutely! With my tattoos, I have a Mohawk and some people think is just a fashion, but is hard to be a punk rocker being around like one, I mean I can´t wash my tattoos away, I mean I don’t want to wash them, but I´m a person and either you like me or you dislike me that’s the way it is. I mean people will like me because the way I look outside and others will like me of what I am inside, you know what I mean? But sometimes is fucked up even in my hometown I just get in, in some places and I´ve been told sorry Sr. this is a family place (laughs).
Since 1999 you haven’t change any member, What makes your line-up so solid?
Jake: Everybody gets along pretty good, we are equal members, there is no one like this guy gets more money because he writes more songs, is not like that we are 100% equal, so we keep writing music together and is a good fun.
The front line was released in 2 languages(English/Spanish) how was the acceptance of this CD in Spanish speaking countries?
Jake: It was barely promoted, there was no big difference between both, they were the same songs, with the same meanings maybe slightly different because of the language but basically the same, It wasn’t a huge release, because we didn’t pretend to announce it as a new album.
Have you noticed big progress lyrical and musical wise in your music from for the punks to we are all we have?
Jake: I think for the punx was our first record in a studio and the lyrics were more about punk rock and now our lyrics are more about more working class men and what we have to go through in our lives and musically we are a bit more dense we have being playing 10, 12 years with this line-up, we are now a bigger band we have more money to record.
Most of the time you are on tour around the globe, so would you tell us which countries attracted your attention the most?
Jake: I really liked south America, I really liked Brazil, I really liked Mexico it was definitely crazy and Europe is always cool, you know I really had a good time in Croatia but I had a good time also in Germany you know? So it´s hard to say.
Any shout outs?
Jake: We have a new video for we are all we have, you can check it out in youtube and check our new CD too and enjoy the show. Thanks.
Photo gallery: http://www.hearingthevoice.com/de/gallery/v/14012010/




0 comentarios:

Post a Comment